Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Veg Pyramid


I am so bored today and I have nothing to write about, thought I will post this Veg Pyramid that I found somewhere on the net couple of months back. I was seriously looking out for one that would tell me what Vegetarians are supposed to eat to get the right amount and right kind of food everday. I found this very useful and infact felt happy that we cover all these types in a day.


I always heard from some of my friends that Indian food is not healthy, I don't know why I never agree with them. As I was talking to my friend Deepa (she is a great cook! and she is planning to start a food blog too) about this, she mentioned to me that we cover all types of food. We get carbs from Rice or Chapathi and iron from greens like Spinach, Amaranth, Gongura etc..and we get fiber from veggies plus proteins from various Dals. Then, how can we say that our Indian food is not healthy?. The only thing that we could avoid is putting more oil in the curries and instead of eating fried rice everyday, we can eat steamed rice. I feel that making little changes in food habits goes a long way.

4 comments:

  1. That Pyramid is indeed interesting....I think our Indian food is quite healthy all around...all we need is to watch the oil/fat intake...like you mentioned(i'm a sucker for pickles though) and also the quantity....no sense on going on a low fat diet when packing away 6-7 chapatis and a whole cup of rice, is there?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow the pyramid is indeed very interesting and usefull to us even to explain to our kids. yeah chapati and rice is a must but we still need to watchon the fried stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My food motto has always been everything in moderation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!
    Veg Pyramid is indeed useful to us those who want to reduce weight and be healthy!!

    ReplyDelete