Saturday, January 26, 2008

Baked Masala Puri


I had a craving this morning to eat Savali, a kind of masala puri that my mom makes using Maida and other ingredients. When she listed the ingredients that goes into making Savali, I didn't have some at home, but I didn't give up and made this Masala puri instead. And I was so determined not to deep fry anything today that I ended up baking this. It satisfied my craving and gave me some sense of satisfaction of eating healthy.


1 cup whole wheat flour
½ tsp coarsely powdered cumin seeds
½ tsp coarsely powdered peppercorn
¼ tsp turmeric powder (optional)
2 tsp oil
¼ tsp salt


  1. First add salt to the flour and mix well.
  2. Add the remaining ingredients and knead.
  3. Make puris into small and thin shape and prick with a fork.
  4. Bake in an oven at 350F for 12 mins or until done.

Serve with any dip of your choice. I served it with a simple everday style dip.


Onion-Tomato Dip

Cut onion and tomato into small pieces. Add little chilli powder, salt, chat masala, lemon juice and garnish with coriander.


9 comments:

  1. Baked Masala Puri, who can resist that? I would like to do that right away :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Indosungod,

    I know. Even I saw the recipe in the morning and made it right away! Hope you will enjoy making and eating Baked Masala Puri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baked sounds great Lata! Hope yu are doing well!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved ur idea of baking the puris...for once, we can have these puris guilt free

    ReplyDelete
  5. Latha!! baked puris, just what i want now!! Looks absolutely delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you are fine, Lata..
    never heard of baked puris, looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad I found your blog today! I gotta make this tonight for tiffen...
    Another name for tomato-onion dip could be 'Indian inspired Salsa!'
    Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey lata,
    before keeping in oven, do u need to brush with oil? is that necessary?

    ReplyDelete