Sunday, February 25, 2007

Mixed Veggie Soup

I was trying to make this soup from a long time. My colleague made this for our Women’s network potluck at my work place and this was a hit. Since then, I was thinking of making it but finally I did it today and changed almost 50% of the recipe, so this is not her recipe anymore but the ingredients are still the same. And wow! This was so tasty that I ate 2 bowls of it and on top of that it is nutritious with so many vegetables going into it.

--------------
Ingredients
--------------
1 cup mixed vegetables frozen (carrots, peas, beans, corn)
½ can cooked Rajma/Kidney Beans
1 cup cooked Conchigliette Pasta
3 tbsp EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
1 tbsp crushed garlic
½ medium onion
½ medium green peppers
2 or 3 small bell peppers (optional)
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
Salt to taste
3 cups water
1 tbsp Coriander powder
1 small bay leaf

  1. Heat the pot, add EVOO and garlic. Let garlic be cooked for a minute and put onions and cook for 3 mins.
  2. Add boiled mixed vegetables, green peppers, small bell peppers (I had these in the fridge; I chopped them and added them). You can boil all these in microwave too.
  3. Add Italian seasoning (thyme, rosemary, parsley), some coriander powder, a bay leaf (remember to remove it once the cooking is complete), some salt and put about 3 cups of water and bring all to boil.
  4. Take a cup of boiled veggies, blend them and put the puree back in the soup, I did this way to get soup little thicker (plus to make my brother eat the veggies, otherwise he throws away some).
  5. In the mean time, make tomato puree by boiling tomatoes or get canned tomatoes and add them to the soup.
  6. Finally add a spoon of cornflour mixed in water, add cooked Rajma (kidney beans). Let that cook for 10 more minutes, add pasta just before serving. Serve hot.

    It tasted even better on the second day too.
    For my soup loving friends out there, please try this when you find time.

No comments:

Post a Comment