Monday, February 19, 2007

Tapioca/Sabudana Kichidi

Though it was a holiday for me, I had to get up early to pack lunch for Ravi. After that I started organizing kitchen a bit when I found this Tapioca/Pearl Sabudana that I got from the Indian store last week. Thought why not soak it up and make something out of it. You know you can do a lot with this food; you can either make Kichidi, Pudding or Vada.

Gujaratis claim this as their traditional dish and so do Maharastrians, but to whatever region this belongs to, it tastes awesome in any cooked form. North Indians use this most commonly in fasting dishes, whereas South Indians make Papads from it. And sabudana papads are a craze among children in South India.

------------------
Ingredients
------------------

2 cups Sabudana/Tapioca
½ cup Peanut Powder
1 Potato
2 big Green Chillies
2 tsps Cumin seeds
Curry leaves (optional)
Small piece Ginger (optional)
Salt to taste
2 tbsp ghee or oil
A pinch of Hing
Coconut and Coriander for Garnishing

  1. Soak sabudana in water for only for 30 mins. Drain the water completely after 30 mins. This step is very important. If you soak it more, those pearls will be dissolved in water. After that drain the water and keep it aside for 6-8 hours.
  2. Cut potato into small cubes and boil them. Keep aside.
  3. Heat ghee in a cooking dish; add a pinch of hing, followed by cumin seeds. After they splutter, add curry leaves, ginger (I add ginger in all my dishes, so this part is optional), green chillies and cook them for two minutes.
  4. Add boiled Potato and keep stirring the whole mixture until potatoes become tender and soft.
  5. Mix sabudana with peanut powder first and then put the whole mixture in the above seasoning mix. This will separate sabudana pearls otherwise they get sticky at some point.
  6. Add Salt. Keep stirring the whole mixture and don’t cover it with lid. This step is important too as you can avoid them sticking (I have seen my friend making this kichidi one day and it came out like a sticky ball as we were busy chatting and didn’t notice the dish on the stove).
  7. After a while white sabudana starts to turn opaque and your cooking is complete. Mix in lemon juice for that extra tangy taste.
  8. Garnish the dish with Cilantro and Coconut! And serve hot.

Very easy to make, the whole process takes less than 15 mins.


3 comments:

  1. Nice looking Khichdi...I often have this on the days I fast. You're right, it tastes great...the origin doesn't matter.

    Trupti

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so good! The first time I had it was when my college roommate's mom sent some over. It was so tasty. I've been wondering how to make it! Should I soak it in cold water at the beginning?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Savithri,

    Soak sabudana in water for 30 min (not more) After that drain the remaining water and keep it for 6-8 hours.

    ReplyDelete