Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Rava Dosa

I seriously wanted to name my blog site “Dosa” and I tried for it everywhere but the name was taken. I don’t know if there is anyone in this world who loves dosa so much as I do. I love dosas made by Tower, a south Indian restaurant near my place. They have so many varieties of dosa to eat and each one is great on its own. Whenever I feel like eating something outside, I prefer going to Tower and eating dosa and I never get bored going there.

I do make dosas at home from scratch, some of them are Plain Dosa, Paper Dosa, Paneer Dosa, Pav Bhaji Dosa, Masala Dosa, Mysore Masala Dosa, Gunpowder Dosa, Cheese Dosa. Out of all I make Rava Dosa frequently because it takes less preparation time but it is tough to make. Once you get hang of it, I know you will keep making it every week.


------------
Ingredients
------------

1 cup each of Rava, Rice Flour and Maida
Readymade Buttermilk from grocery store
Popu- oil, ½ spoon each of jeera, rai, chana dal, urad dal. Add 3 chopped greenchillies, ½ inch chopped ginger, few curry leaves


  • Mix Rava, Rice Flour and Maida and add salt to it.
  • Keep mixing the above mixture with buttermilk until the semi-solid consistency is reached. Don’t put too much water, a little to dilute the buttermilk and the mixture should be sour.
  • Add the popu to the mixture and mix.
  • Keep the mixture aside for half hour.
  • Heat the pan a lot, pan should be very very hot and don’t put the dosa mixture like you do for the regular dosas, you should drop the dough from little height and spread by gently rotating the griddle.
  • Reduce the heat and cook dosa for long time until it is cooked thoroughly, turn it to the other side and cook for a minute and your crunchy dosa is ready.

Don’t lose patience, it takes a while to get the hang of it. Once you do, you will love to make these dosas all the time.
Serve it with coconut chutney, sambhar or any podi.




No comments:

Post a Comment