Thursday, July 19, 2007

Cottage Cheese Bhurji



Cottage Cheese has good amount of protein, so I am using that at least once in a day these days. I guess you will see more recipes of this in the coming days.

Instead of Paneer for the bhurji, I added Cottage Cheese to see how that tastes, this tasted similar but a little sour as I have used 2% fat. Next time I will try it with full fat, may be it will taste little sweeter. But overall result, I liked it, I ate this in the restaurants, they add fresh lime juice to it once it is done and without adding that I got the sour taste naturally.

You need…

1 cup of cottage cheese
1 medium, onion, chopped
2 roma tomatoes, chopped into big chunks. *
2 green chillies, chopped
½ tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
2 tbsp oil.
½ tsp garam masala (optional)
A pinch of turmeric
salt to taste
coriander for garnishing

  1. Heat oil in a pan, add onions and fry for 2 minutes. Do not brown them, just cook them till tender.
  2. Add ginger-garlic paste and fry for a minute.
  3. Add tomato chunks, green chillies, and cook them till done for 1 or 2 minutes.
  4. Add turmeric, salt, chilli powder, garam masala and mix.
  5. Reduce flame and add cottage cheese, garam masala and let it cook for 3-4 minutes.
  6. Garnish with coriander.

Serve hot with chapattis.


* Do not use juicy tomatoes as the curry will become soggy and mushy and if you want the gravy, the milk from the cottage cheese is just enough for that.





15 comments:

  1. Hi Lata! looks great and yummy. Never thick curry with cottage cheese. Such a good idea too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i always wondered how the bhurji wud taste with cc, good to know u had a successful attempt. will look out for ur other recipes with cc :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi lata,
    good one.today i will also bring cottage cheese.i love cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice recipe lata, it looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lata,I like cottage cheese and Ricotta to use in Indian cooking.Baked Bhurgi looks yummy!:))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice recipe , looks yummy lata. cottage cheese is new to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What an innovative twist to the usual bhurji.

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice recipe! I had once tried cooking with cottage cheese but it was a big failure :) your recipe looks apt for this. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lata,
    Love your blog, like you I'm a blue blood Hyderabadi too. Its so good to see someone here, from back home...
    Keep up the good work.
    Lubna.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow lata, baked bhurji looks yummy. i have never tried this yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love bhurjis, will try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I use cottage cheese in pasta & salad but never tried in Indian dishes. good one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cottage Cheese Bhurji with roti.....Please send one dish for me....Delicious dish my dear.:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is new to me. Will definitely try this.
    Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete