Thursday, July 12, 2007

Masoor Dal Soup




Weather has been very unusual at this time of the year. There were scattered thunderstorms in the evening and rain all the night for the last two days. But, it was very hot all afternoon. Then we both craved to eat something hot, and something filling. I thought of making some soup to go with the bread that has been lying in the refrigerator from long.

I tried with Masoor Dal/Red gram this time and improvised it to make it better. I also added Cottage Cheese to this recipe to get that creamy and milky taste.

You need…

2 cups Masoor dal/Red gram dal
1 medium onion, chopped into big chunks
1 big tomato
½ cup cottage cheese
1 tsp chilli powder
½ tsp cumin powder
1 tbsp coriander powder
½ tsp black pepper powder
2 tbsp shredded coconut or coconut milk
a pinch of turmeric
salt to taste
coriander for garnishing

  1. Put tomato and onion in a bowl, add some water and microwave it for 3 mins. Check in between as tomato splits all over the microwave if kept for a long time.
  2. Boil the dal with enough water till al-dente. Don’t make them too soft.
  3. Remove outer skin from tomato and blend onion, tomato and half of cooked dal.
  4. Add the blended mixture to the dal and continue boiling.
  5. Add spices like bay leaf, cumin, coriander, pepper, red chilli powder, turmeric and salt. Also add coconut at this point.
  6. Finally add cottage cheese and boil for 5 mins or until you get the thickness you desire.

Remove bay leaf and serve hot. I served with whole wheat garlic bread. I made garlic spread while the soup was boiling. I also added a piece of garlic to the soup for some garlicky taste.

To make Garlic Spread:

Take an oven safe bowl, put garlic pods with butter or olive oil. Add some Italian seasoning or all dried herbs and keep the bowl covered tightly in the toaster oven for 5-10 mins. Crush the garlic and mix. Apply to the bread before serving.

PS: this is my own version of soup and you can improvise it the way you want.




15 comments:

  1. Hi Lata! lovely garlic spread and masoor dal soup. Looks great lata. You are such a creative. Thanks for sharing.

    BTW thanks for dropping at my blog. I added your blog name in my blogger's list. Keep on coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now this is something you don't see everyday. Looks delicious. Will try out your soup on a rainy day:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very very tempting Lata. I love masoor dal soup too :) One of the regulars at my home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks delicious, shud try adding that cottage cheese. did u use the small cottage cheese?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice recipe Lata. My first comment on your site, but have been checking it out for quite some time and you are very creative. Nice to see a blogger from Raleigh. I live in Cary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. very beautiful recipe and lovely presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lata, the soup looks divine. I love red masoor soup and will try your version sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi lata,
    ur masoor soup looks great.Presentation is too good.Masoor dal soup is new to me and quite too.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Tee, Suganya, Shashi, Sharmi, Lavanya, Priar for your comments.

    Richa, yes it is small cottage cheese.

    Shashi I think we should meet sometime.

    Jyothi, thanks I will definitely get back to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am definitely going to try this out! I love the concept. Thanks for the recipe and idea!

    Kanchana

    ReplyDelete
  11. This soup is my son's all time favourite. He can have this everyday :)
    I like you idea of adding cottage cheese....will try it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mouth-watering dish.....I never try this soup but after see in your blog I can’t wait...:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lata,I almost thought they Idlies.Such a great idea.Both look perfect together!:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lata, you have a new fan amongst the many here. Cottage cheese in dal, and the round toasts -- it's special little touches like this that really make a meal special :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The soup is inviting by the way you presented Lata. Viji

    ReplyDelete