Thursday, March 1, 2007

Shahi Gobi/Cauliflower

Vitamin C, K, Folate and Fiber are excellent in this nutty flavor Cauliflower. It is mostly grown in tropical countries and belongs to the same species as Broccoli and Cabbage. It is a common vegetable found in Indian Kitchens; however, I never tasted this vegetable back in India. I used to hate this and would tell my mom never to make this at home. But, things changed, my student life taught me to eat and taste everything. Cabbage was also listed in my hatred category. But, I do eat Cabbage now and make delicious Poriyal and Salad.

I had unexpected guests at home yesterday and since I got off from work early, I started making this shahi gobi for us and for friends. During leisure days, you marinate this gobi with spices and cook in the evening, but since I was in a hurry, I marinated gobi only for 15 mins and started cooking this delicious dish.



------------
Ingredients
--------------
2 Tbsp Malai/Cream
4 cloves
3 Tbsp oil or more
2 cardamoms crushed into powder
Salt to taste

To marinate Gobi:

½ gobi/cauliflower
½ cup yogurt
2 tbsp chilli powder
1 tbsp garam masala
A pinch of turmeric
For the paste:
2 medium tomatoes
2 medium Onions
2 tbsp kaju/cashew
3 green chillies
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste


  1. Marinate Gobi by adding chilli powder, turmeric, ginger garlic paste, yogurt, garam masala and keep aside for 4 hours if you have time, otherwise 15 mins is fine. (But dish tastes good if you marinate). After marinating it, Cook this in the microwave for 6 mins, stopping every 2 mins to mix.
  2. Make a paste of tomatoes, onion, green chillies, kaju and add ginger-garlic paste to it.
  3. Heat a cooking dish and pour oil, add the step 2 paste and let it cook for 15-20 mins on a medium flame.
  4. Add step 1 marinated and cooked gobi to step 3 and add a pinch of turmeric, chilli powder and garam masala. Also add cloves and cardamom Powder.
  5. Add 2 Tbsp of malai/cream, chopped coriander and salt. Let that cook for another 10 mins or until you see the oil on the top.

    Serve with hot rice or paratha. I made Jeera rice and Spinach Paratha to go with it and the combination was simply great.

No comments:

Post a Comment