Thursday, April 26, 2007

Achari Noodles

My friend's mom (in Hyderabad) used to make this often whenever we went to her place for combined studies. I tried contacting her to get the Recipe and tried many times to get this kind of taste. Finally I found the recipe today and made this with a lot of enthusiasm. The food got ready in 15 mins; I was surprised at how fast this was done. I cooked noodles and the seasoning separately and that saved a lot of time.

I think this is the first recipe I made without any curry leaves, coriander or mint; otherwise I always used to think that there is nothing delicious without those going into the cooking.

Try this recipe and see for yourself how tasty this is. I thought of adding a bit of pickle oil to bring that Achari taste but amchur brought that taste and combined with yogurt, this kind of become like sour noodles. I liked it a lot but Ravi kind of said that I make better things than this. But I enjoyed every bit of it. In just half hour, the cooking was done and food was finished too. Next time, I will try this with organic whole wheat noodles.

You need....

1/2 packet of haka noodles
1/2 onion
1 cup sour yogurt (sweet should work fine)
1 tbsp rice flour
a pinch of turmeric
1 tbsp Jeera/Cumin
1/4 Rai/Mustard
1/2 tbsp fenugreek seeds
1/2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tbsp amchur powder
salt as per taste
1/2 tbsp black salt (optional)
2 tbsp oil
water for boiling noodles


  1. Heat water in a pan and cook noodles (follow the cooking instructions on the packet).
  2. On the side, heat oil in a pan. Add jeera, rai, fenugreek seeds and fry for a minute.
  3. Add onions and fry until they become brown.
  4. Add ginger-garlic paste, turmeric, chilli powder, amchur powder, black salt (recipe calls for this, but I didn't have it in my kitchen) and fry all of them for one minute.
  5. Add rice flour, mix well. Lower the flame, add yogurt (whisk it well) and cook for 2 minutes.
  6. Finally add noodles and mix well with the yogurt mixture. Remove after a minute and serve hot.



source:tajrecipe

4 comments:

  1. looks yum...reminds me of maggi noodles which we used to make in hostel and hog:) waiting for the recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like maggi......mouth watering..nice picture

    ReplyDelete
  3. it does remind me of Maggi noodles like Sia and Sukanya said.. :)

    these are a lovely blend of flavors, I am a noodle lover and this one, I gotta try-thanks!

    trupti

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sia, Sukanya and Trupti for the comments.

    ReplyDelete