Friday, April 20, 2007

Kool Kabuli

One more recipe for my buddy Ray. I hear only protein! from men these days, my hubby keeps asking me to make at least one complete protein dish for a day and I think I am running out of ideas though there are some that I haven’t made recently like Pesarattu, Rajma soup, Adai dosa…

I read something in a health magazine recently that Indian vegetarians eat more protein than the required amount, we kind of laughed at it thinking do we? I know that we make sure to have at least one portion of dal every day and I don’t think it has so much protein necessary for the body… anyways!


While I made Chole for Ravi’s potluck this morning, I took out a bowl of boiled Kabuli Chana for this dish. This one is very healthy, loaded with protein and full of nutrients. You can call it Chana poriyal also as it follows the lines of poriyal recipe.

You need…

a bowl of boiled kabuli chana /chick peas (boiled in salt and turmeric)
½ tbsp each of jeera, rai, chana dal, urad dal
3 green chillies, chopped
½ inch ginger, chopped
½ tbsp coconut powder
1 tbsp oil
few curry leaves

coriander for garnishing
  1. Heat oil in a pan.
  2. Do bagara (tadka, we call it bagara in hyderabadi lang) by adding jeera, rai, chana dal, urad dal into the hot oil. Fry them for half a minute.
  3. Add green chillies, fresh ginger and curry leaves and fry until you get a nice aroma of all the mixed spices. (I love this part in cooking, this combination is so aromatic and flavorful and I don’t think I will be able to describe that taste well in my words, it is indescribable).
  4. Add boiled kabuli chana and coconut powder and leave it for a minute.
    Remove and garnish with coriander leaves.

Serve it hot or cold, it tastes great and don’t forget a cup of orange juice to go with it.

My breakfast this morning!

8 comments:

  1. Thats a nice coincidence !!! I made chanaa & Palak last night..and guess what.. my colleague exchanged it with his lunch.....

    Nice recepie !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even I thought of making Chana Palak (would have been another coincidence) but I have an online event (JFI) coming up for the topic "Greens". I thought I will post that around that time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This dish is called as 'sundal' in tamil cusine. I make it for almost all festivals. Picture looks great. Thanks for sharing your version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    Ur kabuli is looking nice.......I make it in little different way.....Ur procedure is simple and nice......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lata...my first time here...love the recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  6. lata, healthy and nice recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lata, I saw that you've added me to your favourites! :) Thank you! I'm not even sure how you heard of my blog, but I'm glad I found yours!

    Did you eat your kabuli channa with roti or just like this with orange juice?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kribha,

    I went to the temple y'day and they offered Sundal, I didn't know that this is offered as Prasad until now, I knew that people use kala chana for that.

    Shilpa,

    I ate it just like that.

    ReplyDelete