Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Birakaya Pappu

This is one kind of dal/pappu that Andhra guys die for. And the taste and the process of making this differs from region to region. This is the kind of recipe that my mom makes and I made this on the weekend.

When I got sick in my childhood, I used to think of eating this curry to get back that depleted energy. I love this so much in any way. We make dal(we use either tool dal, or moong dal), stuffed birakaya, or cook with methi or milk and make some snacks during summer.

I usually cook a lot of toor dal together and use little everyday to make a variety of dals for the next two or three days.


I made this recipe with toor dal this time. Eat this by adding little ghee and you would realise how heavenly the taste is.



You need...

1 birakaya (peeled and chopped)
1 Tomato (chopped)
few red chillies
few curry leaves
1 tbsp each of jeera, mustard
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
2 cups cooked toor dal
a pinch of turmeric
1/2 tbsp red chilli powder
2 tbsp oil
salt to taste

  1. Heat the oil in a pan and fry jeera, mustard until you hear the popping sound. Add red chillies and curry leaves and cook for a minute.
  2. Add birayaka and cook until soft.
  3. Add tomatoes and ginger garlic paste and cook for about 5 minutes.
  4. Add turmeric, red chilli powder and salt and mix them all.
  5. Add the cooked toor dal and stir for a minute. Reduce heat and cook for another 3 mins.
Serve hot with rice and ghee, it tastes great.




No comments:

Post a Comment