Monday, April 23, 2007

Besan Toast

These days I am making things out of the leftover stuff lying in the fridge, I am in the process of clearing the fridge and concentrating on many veggies and other stuff. In this case, it is bread, there is a big packet of it unused yet. We don't normally feel like eating bread but I got about 2 packets thinking of making bread roll but I made many with just one packet. Looks like I am wasting a lot of money on food...

Anyways, this is a simple food for the weekend brunches if you are in the middle of weekend chores. Add anything you like to the besan and make a toast of your choice.

I added salt, pepper, chilly powder, turmeric, ginger-garlic paste, fresh chopped coriander to the besan and added some warm water to mix it. Don't make it too thick as it takes sometime to cook and will not cook well. Make the batter into a semisolid consistency and leave aside for 15-20 mins.

Heat a pan, smear some oil on the pan. Dip the bread and shallow fry in little bit of oil. Actually I didn't use oil at all and it was good that way too. I don't know how nutritious this is, it can be if we make the toast with either whole grain or wheat bread. But besan is all protein and I guess that's enough for one meal. Serve it with sauce (something hot) and some juice or milk. I served pista and saffron milk with this meal. It was full and we were not hungry until late night.

Our Saturday's brunch

5 comments:

  1. In my hometown we call this as bread bhaji and is usually deep fried. Your's is a much healthier version.Pista milk...Yummy. Anything with dry fruits, I'm in. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, my cousin also deep fry's that but I don't like the bread soaked in oil. Also I make bread roll the same way, I don't deep fry. I will post the recipe soon, pictures have not come up well last night, so I need to remake and retake them. And how do you eat that, like with what?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    Ur besan toast looks great.... And it sounds easy too... I was searching for an bread recipe as i have a loaf of bread in my basket...... I think i am going to try this out....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sukanya,

    Try with different chutneys. I ate with Maggi Chilli Sauce. It was great too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm lovely recipe. I am with you on the shallow frying. I hate deep frying at home!

    ReplyDelete