Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Ragi Dosa

One of the easiest recipes (even my bachelor friends can make it..they have been requesting me to post some simple dishes, one of my close friends requested me to post only protein dishes and a lot of them are asking me to post my Hyderbadi specialities, I am coming there guys...but slowly!)

There is so much information about this Ragi or Millet Flour on web and it was surprising that I didn't know much about it until recently (Thanks to the blog community who introduced me to this).

I made this for our dinner tonight and the result was pleasing. It didn't taste like what I had expected but it was OK. It was different actually. You guys should try and let me know whether you liked it or not. I made putnalu/chana dalia chutney to go with this and the combination was very right.

But make the batter's consistency little thinner than dosas as it tends to break. But, I somehow managed by putting more water and making it light. Good thing about it is: there is no fat involved, I didn't put any oil on the sides at all but I tried on just one and the taste was the same.

I used the recipe from
MyDhaba but modified it to our taste.I used frozen coconut as I didn't have fresh one at home.













You need...

2 cups Ragi flour
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup cocunut
few coriander leaves, chopped
5 green chillies, chopped
1 tbsp sugar
salt to taste
oil or ghee (optional)
water to mix.


  1. Mix all of them and make batter a little thinner consistency than dosa's and keep aside for 15 mins.

  2. Heat tava or pan, rub some oil on the pan for the first time. Add a spoonful of batter and spread round like a cake.

  3. Once cooked, takes about 45 sec-1 min, turn it and cook on the other side also. Repeat the same for others...


I served this with putnala chutney but you can try coconut or mint chutney.


Ragi Dosa

2 comments:

  1. Ragi dosa looks great! I have Ragi Rotti at Aroma if you are interested with Jalapeno chutney!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asha,

    Ragi Roti looks awesome on your, esp the photographs. I will try that very soon and will let you know. OK.

    ReplyDelete