Sunday, April 1, 2007

Easy Tomato Rice

Finally! I am sending my first entry to JFI (an online food blogging event started by Indira of Mahanandi). This month, it is hosted by RP of My workshop.

This time the topic is Tomatoes. We need to submit any recipe made with tomatoes as the main ingredient and send the recipe along with pictures to RP, she in turn posts all the recipes sent to her on her blog.

I wanted to make Masala Tomato Curry for this event but due to my hectic schedule all last week and also the weekend, I didn't have enough time to make that curry. So, I chose to make Easy Tomato Rice instead and sending over the entry in the last minute. I hope my recipe will be entered into this event.

I bought a big box of Tomatoes from the farmer's market last week and I am using those to make this dish.



You need...

2 tomatoes (cut into small pieces)
1 onion2 cups cooked rice (preferably basmati rice)
2 green chillies, cut into small pieces
2 dried red chillies
1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
1 bay leaf
3 cardammoms powdered
3 cloves
2 Tbsp cashews, optional
2 Tbsp oil
1 tbsp shah jeera (optional)
a pinch of cinnamon
few mint leaves, chopped
few curry leaves
few coriander leaves, chopped
salt to taste


  1. Add oil in the pan and heat it. Add onions and shah jeera and fry until the onions turn brown.
  2. Add ginger garlic paste, green chillies, dried red chillies, mint leaves, curry leaves and mix.
  3. Add bay leaf, cinnamom, cardammom powder, cloves, cashews, and mix again and cook all of them for 2 mins.
  4. Add tomatoes and keep mixing until the tomatoes are cooked.
  5. Add a pinch of turmeric and salt.
  6. Finally add rice and mix them all together.
  7. Garnish with coriander and serve hot with Raita.



2 comments:

  1. Lata, the rice was awesome! It was delicious and filling. Also, I am glad you didn't make Tomato Masala which not only just rocks, but rocks my stomach as well ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ravi,

    I am glad that you liked Tomato Rice! and I know Tomato masala rocks on stomach (if taken more)! I had pretty bad experience in the past.

    ReplyDelete