Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Corn Soup

Looks like a Corn Night for us tonight. We ate fruits and drank chocolate milk and thought that that's the end of our dinner, but my hubby wanted something to eat, something spicy. I went to the refrigerator and checked what is in there and found a bag of corn. My corn soup was due from long, it is a super hit among our friends and a lot of them asked me to post this from long, finally I am doing it today.

So, I made both Corn Soup and Corn Roast and added some extra calories to our diet. This corn soup is so heavenly and so easy to make that you would keep going back to make this atleast twice a week after tasting this. Now the winter season is coming to an end in Raleigh and saw some spring flowers blooming on my way back home. Those white flowers without leaves on the trees look fantastic. Along with the winter season, the soup season comes to an end in my kitchen.

This recipe is an ayurvedic one, I found this on some site, couldn't recall where! about 2 years ago. This has all the basic ingredients(ginger, cumin, pepper) that ayurveda suggests for proper digestion of food and it is recommend by doctors for lowering cholesterol problems. And since we get frozen corn so easily in food stores, this definitely adds to the less preparation time.

To make this you need...

2 cups frozen corn
1 inch ginger piece
few cilantro leaves
water to boil
1 tbsp ghee
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1/2 tbsp black pepper powder
salt to taste


  1. Boil corn until tender (usually frozen corn takes less time).
  2. On the side, put ginger and cilantro leaves in the blender and blend by adding little water. Add the boiled corn to the blender (after cooling). Leave some corn kernels aside to add later.
  3. Heat ghee ( you can even add EVOO, it tasted better last time) addcumin seeds, let them splutter. Add the blended mixture, add some water (depending on how thick you want, I leave it thick, I like it that way).
  4. Add fresh ground pepper and some salt and the remaining corn kernels and let it boil for a couple of minutes.
  5. Remove and serve with either bread or just plain.

I served with some hot puffs tonight.
Sent some to my local friends, I hope they enjoyed the soup and puffs along with their dinner.



3 comments:

  1. this one is similar to the Gujju style Makai Chevdo that we serve..I posted it last week sometime...the only difference is that we add milk. Your soup looks good though along with the puffs.

    trupti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that was nice one

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks very tasty, I am tempted to try it this weekend

    ReplyDelete