Friday, March 2, 2007

Masoor Dal Kichidi

I felt like eating Rasam today with rice. And I remember when I made Rasam last time, I had it with Kichidi and the combination was awesome. I tried that combination this time too and it was perrrrfect. But, unfortunately the pictures of Rasam have come out real bad as I accidently moved the pointer to the night mode on the camera.

Kichidi is the easiest thing to make of all the foods I believe. Very less work involved and less time in cooking and overall result is mind-blowing, a tasty and delicious kichidi. You have both carbs and protein in this dish. We can make Kichidi using both masoor dal and moong dal. I even made kichidi one day with whole moong and served that with coconut chutney that was wonderful too. My mom makes kichidi with split moong and serves with cocunut or pudina chutney.

------------
Ingredients
------------
1 cup rice (basmati or sona masoori)
1/2 cup masoor dal
1/2 onion
3 spoons oil or ghee
2 cardammoms
2 cloves
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste


  1. Heat oil in a pan. Cut onions into small pieces and add to the oil. Let the onions cook until brown.
  2. Add coriander, coconut (optional), cardammoms, cloves, ginger garlic paste and keep stirring. Cook for 3 minutes.
  3. Lower the heat and yogurt and leave it for a minute.
  4. On the side, wash both masoor dal and rice and add salt plus 3 cups of water (2 cups for rice and 1 cup for dal) .
  5. Add everything into the rice cooker, dal and rice and the onion mixture.
  6. Cook until done.


Serve with Rasam or any Chutney. Picture shows Chole, Yogurt and Bitter Gourd fry. I had these at home, so we finished eating with this meal and but the main one was Rasam to go with kichidi.



No comments:

Post a Comment