Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Malai Bhindi/Okra

The thought that came to me soon after seeing these fresh, tender, soft Bhindis(Lady’s Fingers/Okras) is Malai Bhindi recipe. It’s been a while since I made this curry. Plus I had some naans at home and thought that, that would complete my meal.

There are so many childhood memories I have with this vegetable. My mom would make bhindi fry atleast once a week for the lunch along with parathas. And I used to wait for the lunch break to eat them. This was one of my favorites in those days esp those small eggs inside of bhindi, it was so much fun eating them. The thought that makes me laugh even today is the way we used to eat bhindi curry during the exams season as bhindi is supposed to sharpen the memory. Not just us but my cousins and everyone around.

Deep fried okra is quite popular in the United States but I never tasted that. Did anyone of you tried that? let me know how it tastes?



To prepare this you need...
------------
Ingredients
------------

20 bhindis
1 medium onion
1 medium tomato
1/2 cup cream
6 tbsp oil
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
salt to taste
cilantro for garnishing

powders

1 tbsp coriander
1/2 tbsp jeera
1/2 tbsp garam masala
1 tbsp chilli powder
a
pinch of turmeric

  1. Cut the head and tail of the bhindis and cook them by roasting them in 2 spoons oil.
  2. On the side, blend onion, tomato.
  3. Heat a cooking pan, add 3 spoons oil, add the onion, tomato mixture and let it cook for 10-15 mins.
  4. Add the ginger-garlic paste and try for 2 mins.
  5. Add all the powders and cook for 2 more minutes.
  6. Add bhindis, salt and cook for another 5 mins.
  7. Finally add cream and switch off the stove and keep it covered for 5 mins.
  8. Garnish with cilantro at the end.

Serve with naan, it tastes great. You should eat this to know its delicious taste.



3 comments:

  1. MAlai Bhindi chaala baagundi ..... ilaanti tasty recipes pedithe ela cheppu ...naaku maamoolgaane aakali vesthundi ...adi chooseka ippudu inka ade thinaali ani undi .... lunch lo migilinavi emi inka thinaali ani ledhu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sri,
    Ma intiki vacheyi, I will make this curry for you:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely recipe there, Lata! Am bookmarking this. Have fun with your mom! Moms are the best, aren't they?! I wish mine stayed close to me too :(

    ReplyDelete