Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Gujarathi Style Baked Cabbage


After Baking

I was searching for some recipes to make with Cabbage on the net and I found this recipe. I am really not a cabbage lover and in fact I have never eaten cabbage my first 20 years in India. After coming to US, I and my close friend Divya tried fried cabbage curry and we didn’t eat but served to others. Everybody praised on how good the curry was. This made us try that and we took very little in the plate along with others. We liked it instantly and we also cooked at our respective places in India during our X-mas vacation. Our family members were really surprised. And lot of such veggies that I never tried before in India made me try in the US. And I still hate Radish; I just can’t get myself to eat that.

I got this recipe from International Vegetarian Union. I am really surprised to find that this was started in 1908 and India is also in the list. Read more on the site for more info…

You can view the recipe here, I didn’t make any changes to it and the dish tasted almost like Pakoda. I took some for my colleagues and they liked it too. I took some Hot and Sweet Maggi Sauce on the side and we liked it both ways.


Before Baking

12 comments:

  1. my goodness girl...2 posts in a single day:) full thumbs up:)
    this is a very unique recipe. never even heard of baked cabbage. if it tastes like pakoda then i have to try this. thanks for the link girl:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some more lying in the draft section, not finding enough time to post them.

    Yeah, you should try this and let me know and how it tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey,
    I too am not a cabbage fan.Infact, I never cook cabbage at home..my hubby cooks it and gives me all the more reason to stay away..Seriously, he messes up cabbage every time he cooks it..His one mission in life is to cook the perfect cabbage..I am going to pass this recipe to him..Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Double posts every time Lata!:D Sometimes they tell me I post too many in one post like Jackfruit post!;D
    Baked Cabbage is unusual, but did you say it tastes like Pakodas? I am there!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i still hate cooked cabbage. i don't mind it raw. the recipe looks excellent. will try it with other greens/veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Baked cabbage, that's new. Looks good Lata.

    Isn't it nice to try things we think we hate only to discover that cooked a particular way they can be yummy? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. yumm this looks very differnt and unique one.Cabbege fry ... looks interesting gotto try

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lata,

    Came across your blog through food blog desam. This looks like a unique recipe, but if tastes like pakoda, I will try it out as soon as I get some cabbage :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi lata, first time at your blog. I've tried this dish once, it's v tasty, saw it in Tarla Dalal's/Devaki Bubbar's book, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Baked cabbage sounds new to me...It is looking YUM!. Nice try..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not a cabbage hater, infact I like it. This recipe sounds intresting especially because you said that it tastes like pakoda. will try it sometime. Picture looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gujju baked cabbage..well, shame on me, a Gujju like me hadn't even heard of it. ;)

    Looks good! If it tastes like pakodas, then I should give it a go!

    :)
    trupti

    ReplyDelete