Friday, May 4, 2007

Kala Chana Sprouts Fry

Sorry to all my readers for posting this recipe so late after posting the picture.

This is a simple and a healthy dish for a breakfast or for an evening snack. I make sure that we eat sprouts atleast two times in a week, we alternate between moong and chana sprouts and make it in a different style each time so that we don't get bored eating the same thing again and again.


You need...

2 cups of kala chana sprouts
1/2 tbsp each of jeera, rai, urad dal and chana dal
2 or 3 dried chillies, cut into pieces
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
a pinch of turmeric
a pinch of red chilli powder
few curry leaves, cut into small pieces
salt to taste
1 tbsp oil


  1. Heat oil and add the seasoning items jeera, rai, urad and chana dal and fry until brown.
  2. Add dried red chillies and fry for half a minute.
  3. Add sprouts and cook them for 5 minutes (keep mixing in between)
  4. Add salt, chilli powder, turmeric, ginger garlic paste and curry leaves and mix them all together.
  5. Cook for another 5 minutes or until the sprouts are cooked well.

Serve hot as it is or with onions.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Lata, came in from your comment on my blog -- thanks for visiting! Looking forward to reading your recipes. I love kala chana -- never thought to sprout that! Does it take long? Looks delish :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, lata, this is really an old fav of mine i had forgotten about. now i crave it, seeing your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kala Chana sprouts...thats new...I love Kala Chana but never tried it sprouted...I should try it...first time here...you have a great blog...thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda,
    It takes the same amount of time as it takes for other kind of sprouts. We eat Kala Chana and Moong Sprouts every week. I soak them on Sunday and they get ready by Tue or Wed.

    Bee, you should eat that and even if it is not sprouts, just the chana fry (after boiling) tastes awesome and filling.

    Dilip, as I said they taste real good. You should try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lata, thanks for stopping by my blog. Your visit is very much appreciated. I hope that you come back often.

    I'm glad that I discovered your blog and it is beautiful. It's a pleasure to add you to my blog roll and feeds.

    See you around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm yum! Do you fry it with some jeera?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Do they look good.
    What do add to the fried chana?
    -TC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow a healthy recipe.. I love it

    ReplyDelete
  9. very healthy recipe lata, the photos looks good too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi latha,
    Love kala channa. Looks yummy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yeah lata ..too good ....nice snack dish ...waiting for the recipe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cynthia,
    Mallika,
    The Cooker,
    Sushma,
    Roopa,
    Menu Today,
    Deepa,

    Thanks for the comments. Yes, this is extremely tasty and a healthy treat. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lata,looks fabulous.I love brown chana.I saw the photo but didn't check back until now.Great photos too:)

    ReplyDelete