Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Achari Aloo Methi


This is for my entry to Jhiva-Greens. I congratulate Indira of Mahanandi for one year anniversary of Jhiva. Though I could not participate in all the last year’s events, I am still happy for making it here.

I am submitting Achari Aloo Methi for this entry as I found fresh Methi at the Indian store; I guess the good thing about spring is that we get to eat fresh veggies and fruits and also the farmer’s markets glow with the newly born veggies/fruits. The prices are also reduced so much that you want to buy them all.

You know that you are cooking Methi with the aroma it spreads out in the whole house and I had to switch on the kitchen fan at the highest level. It smelled so awesome that I was ready to go for the second round of dinner. I then posted the picture online and writing the recipe now. My brother Naveen asked me if it can stay until Friday as he usually visits me on weekends, it seems like he likes aloo methi. I told him that I would make a fresh curry again on the weekend.

It is a simple curry; I just followed the Achari Noodles recipe. I had some baby potatoes left from the Dum Aloo curry I made recently, and I used them all for this curry.

You need…

Fresh Methi/Fenugreek leaves (about a cup)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 potato, cut and boiled
1 cup yogurt
½ tbsp amchur powder
1 tbsp jeera
¼ tbsp rai, fenugreek seeds
1 green chilly
1 tbsp red chilly powder
A pinch of turmeric
Salt to taste


  1. Heat oil in a pan and fry jeera, rai, fenugreek seeds until they splutter.
  2. Add onions and green chilly and stir fry until brown.
  3. Add boiled potatoes and fry them for a minute.
  4. Add Methi fry until the raw taste is gone and the nice aroma of methi leaves come.
  5. Add chilly powder, turmeric, amchur powder and fry them for a minute.
  6. Reduce flame and let the curry cool down a bit and finally add yogurt and mix for a minute. Add salt at the end and remove.

    Serve hot with Rice.

3 comments:

  1. Now that looks awesome, Lata.
    There is nothing like the smell of the Methi cooking...esp, when it is fresh, I LOVE the smell.....!

    trupti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that tasted awesome too. Ravi called me from work and said, curry is awesome, next time don't make achari noodles but make this he said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We eat 1,000,000 varieties of dhal sabji's more than a few nights a week- your collections have inspired me to take a new look at other Indian delights! I can't wait to make this too!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete