Thursday, May 3, 2007

Ragi Pudding

I make this quite often now, atleast twice a week. We are incorporating Ragi into our daily food schedule. We are either eating Ragi Dosa or Ragi Pudding daily for dinner after reading a lot of good stuff about Ragi. I even asked Mom to make this for Dad sometimes. My mom talked about Ragi Ambali (that I never heard before), she also gave me the recipe and I will try that soon.

I made this in Microwave though Microwave is not recommended for cooking because of the loss of nutrients due to the radiation.

You need...

3 cups Milk
1 cup Ragi
3 spoons of Jaggery
1/2 spoon dry fruit masala

  1. Heat milk in the microwave for 2 or 3 minutes.
  2. Mix Ragi with little milk to form a paste.
  3. Add that paste to the milk and cook in microwave in 30 sec increments. Remove after 30 sec and mix. Ragi tends to become hard but mix that well and cook again. Cook until the kind of thickness you want. I get my kind of thickness (like pudding) in just 2 or 3 increments. Add dry fruit masala and serve hot.


It is healthy and tasty too. It tastes something like Bambino sweet.


To make Dry Fruit Masala you need..
one tablespoon each of cashews, almonds, pista and one or two cardammoms (Ravi doesn't like the taste of cardammom, he says it dominates, so I put little) and blend all together. Keep the masala for future use. I put this masala in all the desserts.


12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous image! Trying to imagine the taste.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Thanks Sailaja and Asha. I will try to post the recipe asap. It is similar to Malt but add more Ragi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello lata ..this is the first time i am visitng ur site ..too good man , aloo dish and the sweets are too good ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Goblets! this is one pudding I haven't tasted...its very healthy too, isn't it?

    I just saw your profile,you're in NC? cool...my aunt lives in Rocky Mount, I come there often...

    trupti

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Deepa, I will visit your site too shortly.

    Trupti, you should visit me next time when you are in NC. I live in Raleigh, just 1.5 hours from Rocky Mount.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats a nice innovative recipe Lata.. really liked those beautiful flower shaped cups..

    ReplyDelete
  7. latha the cups are beautifull not to forget the pudding looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sushma and Roopa,

    You should try this pudding and I am sure you will like the taste. I bought those cups in a store called Ross. You get nice stuff over there sometimes and I got these for $1 each.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are right, ragi is packed with nutrients. pudding looks yum !

    ReplyDelete
  10. thats very innovative dish latha...never ever used or had pudding using ragi... i have to try this to see how it tastes:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lata,

    Jyotsna Here....I am trying to get more Ragi...in our routine too..I make ragi dosa and ragi rotis...but this is really nice....Thank you for this recipe...and many more...I am glad I asked you abt this site

    ReplyDelete